Over the past week, Nollywood has been thrown into the spotlight for negative reasons. Sex for role scandals, rape accusations have brought some level of shame.
If you didn’t hear the full story of Victor Okpala sex for role modus operandi and rape accusation, then you should read them on Nollywoodninsider.
This has prompted a Memo from The Director’s Guild of Nigeria on Rape, Sex for Roles in Nollywood and other sexual issues.
If you have ever been sexually abused or taken advantage of by a creative or anyone in Nollywood, then now is the time and here is the platform to speak out.
Read the Memo from Directors Guild of Nigeria below;
MEMO FROM DGN SECRETARIAT
Gravely concerned and alarmed by the sad development in the creative industry, especially in Nollywood, where Producers and Directors have been called out for sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual molestation and rape.
Directors’ Guild of Nigeria (DGN) has risen from a crucial emergency meeting and immediately resolved to:
1. Set up a panel of inquiry in order to investigate various sexual harassment accusations against members.
2. Investigate, probe and determine deterrent penalties and punitive measures for offenders.
3. Seek and Support every initiative of well meaning industry stakeholders to curb the menace of sexual harassment, rape and/or sex for roles.
4. Open a dedicated 24/7 confidential email address to entertain reports, petitions and complaints.
5. Raise an Intra-Guild campaign to educate our members on the implications of such barbaric acts and participate in Inter Guild activities to stop rape and sexual harassment in Nollywood.
6. Any one who has information or has ever been harassed sexually by any director in Nollywood is encouraged to send in a report to firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com. Cases will be treated with ultimate confidentiality
7. The DGN constituted Sexual Offences Committee is as follow:
1)Pat Oghre (Chairman)
2)Remi Ibinola (Secretary)
4) Francis Onwochei
8. The Committee is to receive complaints and petitions, investigate and recommend actions
DGN uses this opportunity to vehemently condemn rape in its entirety within and outside of the Film Industry. It is a derogatory and criminal act and no one deserves to be raped, regardless of the circumstances.
Check the comments session to know what people think about this.